"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

26 October 2014

Favourite Time Traveling Tales!


Hellooo! At 2:00am this morning here in the UK, the clocks went back 1 hour so I like to think of it as time travel seeing as it's 1am twice in one day! Time traveling is a theme I love in literature and movies so I thought I'd discuss a few books and films that deal with this theme. When time travel is presented well in a book it's exciting and adventurous and can really add more depth and mystery to a story. It can also up the fun factor within a book/movie and add tons of drama too.


&

 “Three turns should do it.” 

I absolutely love this book. It's my favourite of the whole series and I thought the film was a really good adaptation. I love Sirius Black, the Marauders Map, Buckbeak, the Time-Turner etc. The time travel aspect is just brilliant. There's so much at stake at this point and it's all on Harry and Hermione to go back and change things therefore saving many lives in the process ("EXPECTO PROTONUM" - gets me every time!). The time-turner necklace is just such an amazing object too (one that I own but sadly can't time travel with!) and the little tidbits we get throughout the story with Hermione attempting to juggle her studies is a great aspect too.


“Someone had given Georgie a magic phone and all she'd wanted to do with it is stay up late talking to her old boyfriend. If they'd given her a proper time machine, she probably would have used it to cuddle with him. Let someone else kill Hitler.”

 This is such a sweet and quirky story. I love Rainbow Rowell's books and although this wasn't my favourite it was just such a heartwarming story. Georgie's marriage is in trouble and she soon finds herself talking to her husband (not yet her husband) on an old landline from the past. So yeah I know it's not exactly time travel but I just love how this old phone was used as a gateway to the past. I laughed at Georgie trying to explain things to the past Neal that hadn't even happened yet (to him anyway) and I loved how this relationship helps George realise how much her present Neal meant to her. It's such a sweet story. 


“If only I had thought of a Kodak! I could have flashed that glimpse of the Under-world in a second, and examined it at leisure.” 

A complex but enjoyable book about a man who creates a time traveling machine that allows him to move backwards and forward through time. I really enjoyed this story and how the time traveller witnessed a seemingly utopian world in the future but also encounters a disturbing under-world in the process. What I loved most was the image of the world coming to its end and the time traveler witnessing this. Not as fun as the others but an interesting read nonetheless.


- Heartbreakingly romantic.

- Quirky, funny and sweet.

 - Time travel through letter writing? R.O.M.A.N.T.I.C

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!