"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies...The man who never reads lives only one." - George R.R Martin

02 June 2013

REVIEW: THE ETERNITY CURE - JULIE KAGAWA


This is a review for the second book in the Blood of Eden series. If you haven't read the first in this series then the synopsis and review may contain spoilers! 

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.

Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.

My review of The Eternity Cure:

Finishing this book has literally left me speechless. The Eternity Cure is the epitome of edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting, hair-pulling drama that I completely adored and devoured hungrily with pleasure. From the first page to the last I was utterly hooked and the fast paced storyline swept me away.

The book opens with us joining Allie on her journey to find her sire Kanin who has been kidnapped by the monstrous Sarren. I really enjoyed that Allie had a purpose in this book, a mission and a quest to fulfill; it really emphasised her determined character. The plot in general was just full of suspense, intrigue, adventure and some romance. It was a fast paced read that had me turning each page in anticipation, excited to see what would happen next. Complications arose at each corner in this book which made the book even more intriguing. Allie bumps into Jackal who is still hungry for a cure of the Red Lung but willing to help her find their sire. Old friends also pop up and Allie returns to old and familiar places. All in all the book was just full to the brim with fascinating twists and turns. I didn’t find it predictable at all and at times I was shocked at some of the the outcomes. It’s definitely a book that keeps you on your toes.

Another aspect of the book that I enjoyed was how bloody and dark the story really was. Some of the descriptions in the book are really gory and graphic which really emphasises the dark nature of a book which deals with death, disease, poverty and some bloodthirsty sometimes savage creatures; vampires. That’s why I love this series so far. It doesn’t shy away from the stereotypical portrayals of vampires but it also gives us a complicated depiction of a vampire such as Allie who inwardly struggles with her humanity and her vampire nature.

The characters in this book were expertly portrayed. I absolutely loved some characters and utterly despised some, to the point where my face screwed up in disgust at the mere mention of a certain name. This book just cemented my love for Allie. She is fierce, determined and completely kick ass. She is a woman (vampire!) on a mission and deeply loyal, hunting for her sire Kanin. I’ve always admired her strong character and how she has fought from day one since becoming a vampire. She constantly struggles to not become a monster and allow her instincts as a vampire to overpower her compassionate nature and humanity.

I absolutely loved the dynamics between Allie and Jackal in this book. Their contrasting personalities definitely rubbed off on one another and affected one another; Allie’s humanity and compassion and Jackal’s light-hearted view of the world. Jackal is the ultimate annoying brother constantly teasing and winding Allie up with some funny results. Jackal was definitely one of my favourite characters; amusing and witty he offered some comic relief in a serious and dark story. As the novel progresses you’re never quite sure of him and his intentions right up until the very end but I did think he transformed (a little!).
He definitely had some of the best lines in the entire book which either had me rolling my eyes in frustration or giggling.

Sarren was a character that I utterly loathed. He constantly gave me the creeps and I just hated how crazily unhinged he was. He was definitely the epitome of a monstrous, sadistic and savage creature. I definitely wouldn’t want to bump into him in a dark alley. His insane and villainous nature really makes me fear for the characters as he is not simply a bloodthirsty vampire with a grudge but a bloodthirsty psychotic vampire on a destructive mission. Definitely a great villain though!

I honestly cannot wait for the third book, The Forever Song. The ending of this book is the perfect earth-shattering cliff hanger and has definitely left me desperate for more. If you haven't read this yet or even The Immortal Rules you should do so now as I would recommend it over and over again!

1 comment:

  1. I have a book-girl-crush on Allie! I love her :) and Jackal was a great addition to the cast. They were a hilarious match. And adorable Zeke <3 Isn't Sarren one of the scariest villains you've read about in a long time? Great review! :D

     Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete

I love reading all of your comments so please leave me a little one below :) Also, Lost in Thought blog is a free award zone. Thank you for the thought!